Monday, June 30, 2008

Just one test.....

Just one test stands between me and the completion of school!! My final for "advanced facility coding procedures" SHOULD take place in about a week, so stay tuned!!!
I attended a seminar this last weekend at the school and wow!!!! I am sooo glad I did. I made some new contacts, met a couple great people that I would love to stay in contact with, and learned more then I have in the last 18 months!!!
It was nice to know I am not floundering out there alone (as I have felt frequently through this "school at an old age" thing). I also found out we are going to have a REAL GRADUATION CEREMONY!!!
I never graduated from high school, so I was kinda jazzed to know I would get an actual ceremony and diploma acknowledging my hard work and efforts. For 20 bucks I get my cap, gown, and tassel. We will be the first class to have such a ceremony, but the other Techskills schools nation-wide are taking note and following suit. We are treading new ground, and its a good thing.

On another note, work is really busy, but its a good thing! Makes the days go faster. I am currently working on facilitating the formation of a children's fatality review team. Depressing work to be sure, but a valuable service in any community.

For more information you can check out http://www.ican-ncfr.org/

My hope is to form the four surrounding counties into a "hill country" team that will meet bi-annually to discuss the deaths of children ages 0-18 in our combined counties. The formation is the hardest part because there are "mandated members" such as a Medical Examiner, EMS, Child protective services workers, Sheriff's department, and Pediatricians.
As you know they are all too busy, and its hard to get them together to discuss formation of such a team, let alone to have them commit to being a member of one!! Wish me luck!!
This is a long term project so I will keep you updated as things happen.

Enough rambling for now. =) Have a blessed week!!

No comments: